Flash Story: U.K.O.D.O

by Gimbiya Galadima



Mama Efe is dead.

I however cannot believe it. I recall the terminal fourth dimension nosotros talked inward her kitchen, words flowing out of her rima oris similar H2O from a tap equally she cooked Ukodo.


We ate too talked virtually her business, too my bad cooking inward general.

I dream of her every night.

I wake upwards too to relaxation the pain, I start out to laid upwards Ukodo. I experience similar I accept lost a friend too a mother.

I desire to country you lot virtually her. I'm doing too then amongst this promise that it would assist me heal.

I met Mama Efe when I moved into a novel expanse to heal of the harm Dapo had done to my drinking glass heart.

Dapo too I had cohabited for half dozen years earlier he all of a precipitous realized that I had a tum the size of a sack of garri too that I was non Yoruba.

All the neighbours had known me equally his fiancée too then I had to teach out to avoid their eyes.

Their questions.

The shame.

I was inward a real depression solid soil when I moved to the novel house.

I rarely talked to anyone, too then Mama Efe too the other neighbours idea I was proud—smug.

I was inward the kitchen 1 flush when the kerosene inward my stove finished. I did non accept plenty cash to teach to a greater extent than kerosene too fifty-fifty if I did, I did non desire my legs to last tattooed past times the notorious mosquitoes that alive on our street that night.

I made an extra endeavour to last overnice too amongst a small-scale bluish keg inward my hand, knocked on Mama Efe’s door.

The circular adult woman opened the door too gave me a mutual depression temperature stare that could last likened to that of a Panthera leo eyeing its prey.

"Abe-egg you lot teach kerosene?" I stammered.

She shook her caput too replied, "So amongst your oyibo too yanga too your pilus wey resemble Indomie wey no done, you lot no fifty-fifty teach mutual kerosene?"

I wilted. “Sorry Ma,” I managed.

Mama Efe said zero else, but scowling at me, her lips stretched too contorted.

She afterwards gave me to a greater extent than than plenty kerosene to laid upwards for the black though. With time, Mama Efe too I became closer.

Beneath the hateful too sarcastic persona, I institute a adult woman amongst a oculus of diamonds.

She laughed at my terrible cooking too taught me how to brand Ukodo, her hometown delicacy.

It is truthful that the lineament of friendship is non how long a individual has been your friend but the affect they accept made on your life.

I run into her circular human face upwards now, grin inward the dark.

It is late, I accept to teach too laid upwards Ukodo now. Mama Efe e'er used uda but I couldn’t teach 1 at the market.


The plantain I bought looked a petty likewise ripe too.

I’m but going to come inward that way, after all, it isn’t virtually the food, but virtually a friend.

I promise my married adult man Efe likes it equally much equally he did his mother’s.
Sumber http://www.dnbstories.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post